an chronicle of my adventures in Ifrane, Morocco and travels within the surrounding area

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Chao-lloween


So I know I've said this before, but Chefchaoen is absolutely positively the greatest place I have yet seen in Morocco. Situated in the Rif Mountains about an hour south of Tangier, the city is a haven of blue paint, winding, hilly alleyways and breathtaking views. The blue paint which covers most of the town supposedly helps with the mosquitoes but may also be related to the city's history as a Jewish enclave.

The entire bus ride from Fes to Chefchaoen was inspiringly beautiful- I could hardly sleep for want to keep my eyes open.


When we finally arrived, the scenery just got better and better.



There were some extremely happy and healthy looking cats and dogs in Chaoen, which is very strange for Morocco. This one especially seemed happy, or at least very strategically housed.


As we followed the guides who offered to help us find a hotel up the winding alleys and walkways of the town, I really began to believe I was in a story book. When we arrived at the hotel and saw this tiny stairway and little blue wagon scene,

there was no longer a question in my mind- Chefchaoen must be the creation of Dr. Seuss.

After checking into the hotel and freshening up from the CLIMB up to our hotel, we headed down to the main square to have some tea and watch the sunset.


We found the perfect rooftop from which to do so, with a great view of the town on one side


and the mosque complex on the other.


We spent the rest of the night exploring the town and had some more rooftop fun on the terrace of our friends' hotel.

The next day was a cloudy, rainy one, but it turns out the mountains are still beautiful in the rain.


We decided since the weather wasn't too great for shopping in town we would take a taxi ride to Akchor, a nearby mountain town. Let me just say we made the correct decision. The entire trip to Akchor,




our time spent drinking tea in Akchor,




and the ride back


were punctuated by the sound of my camera clicking photos incessantly,

maybe having a little too much fun with the effects of the bumpy road. I couldn't stop trying to capture what my eyes were seeing.

When we got back to Chefchaoen, we began searching for something to eat, and stumbled upon a little hole-in-the-wall sandwich shop where we got the largest, most delicious sandwiches I have ever experienced all for just 8Dh ($1) each.


I kid you not, this sandwich rice, pasta, tuna, olives, peas, carrots, onions, and french fries on top.

After eating those sandwiches we were thoroughly exhausted and headed back to the hotel, watched a movie and headed to sleep. Our bus the next day was early and prohibited any more sight-seeing before heading back, but my attempts at channeling Ansel Adams continued for the rest of the trip home.









WHAT A TRIP IT WAS!


No comments:

Post a Comment